Northern Humour, a genuine art.
Northern humour art on Uniquely Manchester
“Not for the thin-skinned or people with a sense of humour bypass.”
- Eric Jackson, Artist.
There’s something very special about Northern humour and there isn’t anything more Uniquely Manchester than local folk’s ability to be self-deprecating and, well, find humour in themselves and their surroundings.
Stockport-based artist Eric Jackson encapsulates this brilliantly in his tongue-in-cheek prints and products that playfully parody our regional towns and villages in the art deco poster style of yesteryear. Eric, formerly a writer at the Manchester Evening News, has combined his two loves – words and imagery – to create an ever-increasing range of poster art that cheekily, but hugely affectionately, pokes fun at the idiosyncrasies of specific localities in Manchester, Cheshire and Lancashire.
Inspired by traditional seaside advertisements for tourists, Eric’s art looks and feels beautifully nostalgic; but his wry observations couldn’t be more up-to-date! Uniquely Manchester is delighted to offer a wide selection of Eric Jackson works for sale, all of which can be found in our Modern Retro section. Available as framed or unframed prints, or mounts, Eric’s quirky art not only looks the part, but is also guaranteed to be a real conversation starter!
We’ve detailed ten of our favourite pieces below (in no particular order - we love them all!).
Ten doses of northern humour from artist Eric Jackson
• ‘Black pudding puts you in the mood for love in . . . Bury’
• ‘Welcome to tomato soupville. Deliciously rich in Worlsey’
• ‘What, no whippets? Southerners are also shocked by the lack of ferrets and tripe in . . . Manchester’
• ‘Be different! Just like everyone else in . . . Chorlton’
• ‘Visita La Venezia del Nord in . . . Salford’
• ‘Discover the pyramid! The source of the Mersey, Europe’s largest brick structure and diabolical car parks in . . . Stockport’
• ‘On no, surely not another media whore moving to . . . Didsbury’
• ‘Stay safe! On the best side of the Pennines in . . . Lancashire’
• ‘Get your skates on! That Farrow and Ball ‘Elephant’s Breath’ paint isn’t going to buy itself, you know, in . . . Altrincham’
• ‘The best thing about London. Is it: those lovely City bankers, the £2m studio apartments, or the constant congestion? No, it’s the train from Euston to . . . Manchester Piccadilly’
Eric Jackson’s collection on Uniquely Manchester currently covers: Altrincham, Bowden , Bramhall, Burnage, Bury, Cheadle Hulme, Chorlton, Didsbury, Eccles, Hale, Hazel Grove, The Heatons, Lancashire, Manchester, Manchester City football club, Manchester United football club, Oldham, Prestwich, Sale, Salford, Stockport, Stretford, Tameside, Timperley, Urmston, Whalley Range, Worsley and Wythenshawe. - You'll find these in our Modern Retro Art collection.
If Uniquely Manchester doesn’t yet stock your town then please do let us know via twitter, facebook or firstname.lastname@example.org. Eric is constantly adding to the collection so if he’s not already done it, or has plans to do it , he may just add your request to the list!